Wednesday, February 13, 2013

THE LAST EMPEROR

This painting was done entirely by using glazes, or semi transparent layers of paint. Other than black and white, only blue, red and yellow glazes were used to achieve the effect I was experimenting with. As the original design evolved I imagined a world where amphibians had achieved a level of intelligence and became the dominant life form. Many different stories came to mind while the painting progressed over a period of time. This fellow became a sort of a proud but tragic figure as I imagined him as the last of his kind.

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    I am glad to see you back on line sharing your gift for creating images that are both provocative and surreal that can also embody a healthy sense of humor and irony. BTW, I am still trying to get my antiquated desk top to digest the music you sent my way and will hopefully make some progress toward that seemingly simple aim. I enjoyed this painting as a subtle bit of expressing our Amphibian King striking a proudly formal pose while immortalising his pet. I hope he has a good dry cleaner for that ceremonial garb as I can imagine him refusing to disrobe as he ventures into the deep, the other half of his kingdom.
    Best Wishes
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce...
      Very nice of you to stop by. Your blogs have been constant companions of mine throughout the years we have corresponded. I'm happy to provide some small bit of entertainment in exchange.
      Michael

      Delete